The function of the immune system is to protect our bodies against foreign invaders. The invaders can come in the form of actual foreign bodies such as bacteria, viruses, fungi or parasites, collectively called pathogens. Proper immune function is an intricate balancing act. According to Ayurveda, immunity and natural resistance to disease in the body goes hand in hand with good health. The concept of health, according to Ayurveda is not only being free of disease but also when there is balance between the three doshas; vata, pitta, and kapha.
Immunity is influenced by the power of Agni, digestive fire and our ability to digest, assimilate and absorb nutrients. Within a healthy body where immune function is strong, any invaders are either neutralized or destroyed and then expelled from the body. If Agni is impaired by an imbalance within the tridosha, metabolism is affected and the immune response and natural resistance are lowered. According to Ayurveda, Ama is the root of all physical diseases. Ama can result from improper eating habits and unhealthy lifestyle practices. Our relationships, stress and traumas also greatly impact our digestive process and immune function.
Ayurveda recommends practical guidelines for the diet and lifestyle changes for good healthy living that encompasses good immunity.
- One should bring awareness to your digestive process, noting how you feel (physically and mentally) after each meal.
- One must watch portion size of the meal and be mindful not to overeat. Be regular in your eating habits.
- To choose foods that is in accordance with once constitution to balance the doshas through diet.
- To include foods such as milk, ghee or clarified butter and honey in diet.
- To include many fresh organic fruits, vegetables, nuts, and beans in diet.
- To limit sugar intake. Simple sugars impair white blood cells activity leading to a depressed immune system.
- To limit alcohol consumption as it impairs functioning of the white blood cells affecting immunity.
- To maintain a healthy body weight. Excess weight is a burden to the body and places undue stress on organs and metabolic functions that impair immunity.
- Follow regular exercise regime and sufficient good quality sleep is very necessary.
- Herbs can also play an important role in giving a boost to your natural defense system. Sitopaladi and mahasudarshan are well known as powerful immunostimulants. This herbal remedy may be the extra protection you need to stay healthy through the fluctuations of the season.
These simple rules can help for healthy living for an individual. DISCLAIMER:
"The scientific/technical content of this publication has been developed and designed by SciCon Factory Advertising and Publishing LLP for educational purpose only through monetary assistance from ICC Lowe Linhealth, a division of Lintas India Pvt. ltd. The content herein has been developed by clinicians and/or medical writers and/or experts. LinHealth has obtained consent from the respective authors and content generators for publishing the material appearing in this publication, as necessary. The expert comments expressed in this publication are solely the views of the authors giving such expert comments or authors whose comments are cited as source of material in this publication. Linhealth neither agrees nor disagrees with the views expressed in this publication and does not constitute or imply an endorsement, sponsorship or recommendation. Linhealth and the publisher acknowledge all copyrights and/or trademarks of third party contained or appearing in this publication. As the information contained herein is for educational purpose only we request you to please refer to the full prescribing information for complete details of any products and consult Registered Medical Practioners or Doctors before taking any decision on usage of the said product”