Dry cough is a response to the throat irritation. It usually follows following an attack of flu or respiratory infection. It is also triggered by allergies such as pollen, hay etc. during the change of season.
The dry cough does not produce mucous and causes irritation to the lining of the throat. The attack of cough can suddenly crop up, last for few seconds and then vanish. Intermittent coughing, long duration of coughing could also have underline diseases such as asthma, respiratory obstructive disorders etc.
The idea of treating dry cough is to relieve the acute symptoms and treat the underlying cause. Ayurveda has lot of remedies for dry cough.
Ayurvedic remedies to prevent dry cough:
- Avoid exposures to cold weather; take precautions in cold weather.
- Avoid excessing intake of tea, coffee, sweets, ice-creams, cold drinks, etc.
- Avoid excessive intake of sour food, curds, citrus fruits, raw food
- Avoid Smoking and alcohol consumption
- Always eat freshly cooked meals as per one’ constitution (prakriti)
Ayurvedic remedies for dry cough:
There are few effective home remedies for ordinary dry cough. Dry cough with other secondary illnesses such as asthma, COPD, pneumonia etc. need medication and one must see a doctor.
. Few recommended home remedies are as follows:
- Gargling with salt water is an effective home remedy in the treatment of dry cough.
- Honey mixed with black pepper helps to reduce the throat irritation and the coughing episodes. Honey can also be mixed with ginger powder, liquorice powder can be used. Honey is soothing to the mucous lining of the throat. It forms a thin layer and prevents irritation on the lining. This helps in reducing coughing episodes
- Add turmeric and cardamom powder to the hot milk to drink twice day.
- People who cannot tolerate milk should avoid milk and milk products. They can alternatively opt for the following:
- In one litre drinking water, add few pieces of ginger, cardamom, turmeric powder, slight jiggery and boil for 20 minutes. Filter the solution and drink it frequently. Mix with a teaspoon of honey at the time of drinking.
- Mix liquorice powder with jiggery and make into small balls. Chew them well slowly followed by few sips of warm water. This will reduce dry cough.
"The scientific/technical content of this publication has been developed and designed by SciCon Factory Advertising and Publishing LLP for educational purpose only through monetary assistance from ICC Lowe Linhealth, a division of Lintas India Pvt. ltd. The content herein has been developed by clinicians and/or medical writers and/or experts. LinHealth has obtained consent from the respective authors and content generators for publishing the material appearing in this publication, as necessary. The expert comments expressed in this publication are solely the views of the authors giving such expert comments or authors whose comments are cited as source of material in this publication. Linhealth neither agrees nor disagrees with the views expressed in this publication and does not constitute or imply an endorsement, sponsorship or recommendation. Linhealth and the publisher acknowledge all copyrights and/or trademarks of third party contained or appearing in this publication. As the information contained herein is for educational purpose only we request you to please refer to the full prescribing information for complete details of any products and consult Registered Medical Practioners or Doctors before taking any decision on usage of the said product”